Skip to main content

Expecting for Rachel



Based on the story: When Jacob Marries Leah & Rachel
Genesis 29:14b-30

As a part of God's promise to his grandfather Abraham, Jacob was guided from the very start. He was clearly told by his father Isaac all the instructions that will help him on his journey. 

Being one of Laban's closest relative and because of his diligence, he was given an opportunity to ask for anything, a reward for his goodness. 

Most of the time, God allows us to ask for something we desire to have; but at the precious time like this, He initiates us to ask for anything. God knows everyone's heart especially when we are serving him with love. His graciousness is at its best if he allows us to ask or petition for something we deeply desire even though he has greater in mind.  

        In  the story, it is visible that Jacob was fell in love with Rachel. As part of agreement he have to work for seven years for Laban the father. Jacob did not mind the span of time, he displayed patience, hard work, diligence and willing to do everything just for the woman he wants to marry. He became focus in his service. He was certainly fueled by love, not only by her beauty and potential. Jacob was a clear picture of a man who is willing to wait and to do what it takes not only for his woman but also to please her family. He even showed courage to stand on what he knows are his. Above all, during the moment he felt deceived, he stood patient until Leah's bridal week was finished.

     One big question here, why does it happened to him? At the end, he got Rachel and sooner became his wife. But how come or it seemed that the receiving is somewhat delayed, mainly when the whole story showcased the patience and obedience of Jacob.  He worked satisfyingly and played the role rightfully. Why God allows a setback like this?

Going back to the scripture during that time there was a custom that the older should marry first before the younger.  Perhaps, Jacob failed to observe this practice. He was so driven by his desire with all good intentions and all that. But as someone in charge, Laban was reminded about it. Maybe he really don't mean to deceive Jacob. He only want to make all things right and in order. He also want to respect his eldest and become fair in the sight of people and to their tradition.


Likewise with God, he can use anyone or anything in whatever circumstances he wants until everything falls rightfully into places. Once in my life I asked for someone. I worked intensely to grab this most delightful reward I've ever known. Like Jacob, he became my inspiration to serve  God and to wait. Until a time comes which I believed is right to claim him.  Frustratingly, I saw behind a shadow of Leah. Almost the same, I turned badly to God and felt totally betrayed. I was completely disappointed. However, as the One in control and in charge of all that is right. My God never missed that one thing in which honestly I failed to see. “I almost leave everything behind just to settle for my Second Best.” All those times I thought he is my “Rachel”, the real “Rachel”, the one promised to me by God (Gen 29:19). The one in whom God intentionally reserved for me. With all humility, I fail to remember that He is a God of order (Gen 29:26). I fail to acknowledge His divine reasons and suddenly jumped off with petty questions.

Yes, one time He purposely handed me down to “Leah” so that I will wake up for the truth.  Then, I realized that he only wants me to be sure of one thing, to hold on for the BEST THING! Like Jacob, I wake up more determined, wiser and better

Besides, what is more amazing now is that I am not only working out of passion to meet the right man God has for me but most of all for the promise He stated in v.19 that, “I will give him to YOU than to some other 'woman', as you  stay in My presence.” Before, I might received the second best "Leah", but n
ow, I know to whom I am working for!

In the story, as Jacob patiently endure another seven more years of service to have the woman he truly love. I am also willing to do the same, since after everything I went through, lessons and sacrifices along the way. In faith there is no other way than to take one step forward to receive my most awaited "Rachel" my God's will. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Yhwh) our God Cannot Lie

Trying to take my mind off any racing thoughts. But it doesn't work, still wide awake. I realized it's already midnight, so I tend to pray again a little, return to bed. Staring at the dark ceiling, toss and turn, then noticed it's been already an hour since I last checked the time.       Thinking of something deep, seeking God for clear answers about matters of heart.  Asking him like, "really Lord, you said yes, and this is for real?.... But why it seemed I don't see any signs?", "Did I heard you right ?"  or "Am I only getting impatient?..." Then it is even getting harder to catch a sleep.  There are times that I sincerely prayed for something, committing all my strength to wait on it, believing  that I heard the Lord clearly with the confirmation of the Scripture. But there were days that doubts start rising, and not always in the mood to praise. Times when all of the sudden, I simply want to stop and tell God, " did

CHOSEN

Sea of Galilee God chooses and we have choices, He is Sovereign, and we have freewill. In the Old Testament, Israel chose to reject God, so He chose to send His Son to redeem us from sin.  When Jesus came, He did so as a suffering servant, not a conquering King. As a result, God's chosen people look different than what's expected. Our greatest desire is to be chosen by someone who is far more wonderful than we could imagine, infatuation flirts with the object of its affection, but true love longs to be with the one it has chosen.  Jesus made a decision to die for the undeserving so He could satisfy our heart's desire to be chosen by God, so it was Jesus desire to glorify God & satisfy our debt by making the decision to die for us . I'm just thinking what does a chosen person's life looks like? The chosen person doesn't have to fake his influence, like Jesus, He doesn't have to fit in with the religious crowd, he just withdraw, He leaves. Jesus is extendi