Skip to main content

My Grad School Experience





Why graduate school?


Simply stated, I am just one of those people who love to learn. With lifelong passion for service and learning, pursuing a masters degree is impossible for me during college. It could bring a high impact on my career afterwards, though it may not necessarily an important factor but one has also to consider the financial side of it. However, I decided I was ready for challenge to pursue my interest in a more in-depth way.

How did you find the right program for you?


I would say that academy is my second home, after graduating college, I immediately work as a Telephone counselor at The 700 Club Asia. I kept on hearing a saying that the “only way to do great work is to love what you do and do what you love.” After three years I resign from work to do masters. I look for good school in Christian Counseling and here I find Asian Theological Seminary, so I apply for scholarship and luckily was granted. The program I choose was not only my passion but also balance the opportunity to serve in the ministry and to build the career that is delightful to have. The night classes and weekend schedule, support from a close-knit academic community made it a right choice.

How does it compare to your undergrad experience?


I would say that master’s degree students are expected to contribute during class time; this is a major component of how professors feel about you, talk with you, and treat you.
You move from theory to the real-world applications. In traditional undergraduate courses, students are typically younger and don’t have professional work experience or connections. My undergraduate experience refined my self-discipline and gave me the ability to become a more reflective thinker. These qualities have become massively important as I continue to navigate my graduate experience.

What has been the most challenging or surprising?


What is good about my school is that it is interdenominational, multicultural theological institution that equips the students with an in-depth biblical learning and be an effective servant not only in the church but also in society and the world. Through the counseling program, I find myself taking on a global perspective toward education, feeling inspired to create change beyond the four walls of my classroom. Time management and accountability has something to do in the way things should be handled. There’s so many new experiences and new people, it’s easy to underestimate the amount of time you need to set aside to excel in your studies and to keep them a priority and yet the successful key is to be flexible with every thing that takes place.

What advice can you offer other (would-be) graduate students?


Pursuing a higher degree is one of the most valuable gifts you can give yourself. Take all your learning into your heart not only in your head. Treat it as an investment and expect to get out as much as you are willing to put in. When times get tough, remember that your journey isn’t totally in isolation. My advice to other graduate students would be to work hard, you'll need to learn how to network like a pro by honing your "people skills”.

Batch 2014


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Yhwh) our God Cannot Lie

Trying to take my mind off any racing thoughts. But it doesn't work, still wide awake. I realized it's already midnight, so I tend to pray again a little, return to bed. Staring at the dark ceiling, toss and turn, then noticed it's been already an hour since I last checked the time.       Thinking of something deep, seeking God for clear answers about matters of heart.  Asking him like, "really Lord, you said yes, and this is for real?.... But why it seemed I don't see any signs?", "Did I heard you right ?"  or "Am I only getting impatient?..." Then it is even getting harder to catch a sleep.  There are times that I sincerely prayed for something, committing all my strength to wait on it, believing  that I heard the Lord clearly with the confirmation of the Scripture. But there were days that doubts start rising, and not always in the mood to praise. Times when all of the sudden, I simply want to stop and tell God, " did

Expecting for Rachel

Based on the story: When Jacob Marries Leah & Rachel Genesis 29:14b-30 As a part of God's promise to his grandfather Abraham, Jacob was guided from the very start. He was clearly told by his father Isaac all the instructions that will help him on his journey.  Being one of Laban's closest relative and because of his diligence, he was given an opportunity to ask for anything, a reward for his goodness.  Most of the time, God allows us to ask for something we desire to have; but at the precious time like this, He initiates us to ask for anything. God knows everyone's heart especially when we are serving him with love. His graciousness is at its best if he allows us to ask or petition for something we deeply desire even though he has greater in mind.           In  the story, it is visible that Jacob was fell in love with Rachel. As part of agreement he have to work for seven years for Laban the father. Jacob did not mind the span of time, he

CHOSEN

Sea of Galilee God chooses and we have choices, He is Sovereign, and we have freewill. In the Old Testament, Israel chose to reject God, so He chose to send His Son to redeem us from sin.  When Jesus came, He did so as a suffering servant, not a conquering King. As a result, God's chosen people look different than what's expected. Our greatest desire is to be chosen by someone who is far more wonderful than we could imagine, infatuation flirts with the object of its affection, but true love longs to be with the one it has chosen.  Jesus made a decision to die for the undeserving so He could satisfy our heart's desire to be chosen by God, so it was Jesus desire to glorify God & satisfy our debt by making the decision to die for us . I'm just thinking what does a chosen person's life looks like? The chosen person doesn't have to fake his influence, like Jesus, He doesn't have to fit in with the religious crowd, he just withdraw, He leaves. Jesus is extendi