Skip to main content

(Yhwh) our God Cannot Lie



Trying to take my mind off any racing thoughts. But it doesn't work, still wide awake. I realized it's already midnight, so I tend to pray again a little, return to bed. Staring at the dark ceiling, toss and turn, then noticed it's been already an hour since I last checked the time.    

Thinking of something deep, seeking God for clear answers about matters of heart. Asking him like, "really Lord, you said yes, and this is for real?.... But why it seemed I don't see any signs?", "Did I heard you right?"  or "Am I only getting impatient?..." Then it is even getting harder to catch a sleep. 

There are times that I sincerely prayed for something, committing all my strength to wait on it, believing that I heard the Lord clearly with the confirmation of the Scripture. But there were days that doubts start rising, and not always in the mood to praise. Times when all of the sudden, I simply want to stop and tell God, "did you really say that to me?" And sadly, one of those times, is just right this very second. 

So I grabbed my phone to just continue reading using my downloaded scripture app. Interestingly, my next chapter is on 1 Kings 4:1-37. Stories of the widow’s oil, the Shunammite woman and the Deadly Stew.  All three stories in one chapter are distinctly beautiful and as I meditate on each passage, I proved something that God cannot do

I'm already in 1 Kings 4:1-7, the widow feels very anxious because of the credit that she must settle, thus her two sons are about to be taken away as payment. Elisha was sent for her by God to help on her problem. She left nothing aside from a small jar of olive oil. The small amount she has was never an excuse to feed Elisha and believe that the jars she collected will all be filled at the command of God. The jars she and her sons filled were sold out, therefore she was able to pay her debt and yet left with more oil.

On the second passage, 1 Kings 4: 8-17. Out of generosity of the Shunammite woman, she was  granted with an unexpected blessing to conceive even though her husband was already old. With boldness and holding fast on what she heard, she even verified with Elisha the prophet, “O man of God do not lie to me your servant.” This phrase echoed to me from yesterday as I talked to God about a certain revelation on which he told me personally during devotion. This verse also supports the prophesy of Balaam in Numbers 23:19 “that God cannot lie because he’s not like a human being that change his mind.” As I resonate on this sweet assurance, hope add up and strength arise. In this season of waiting, I am grateful that my peace does not waver. I keep on believing on his wisdom and power. I remember that during a confusing situation occurs last quarter I ran toward God for guidance, and I was so grateful that he threw me Proverbs 8- as I studied each verses the overflowing of understanding and unfathomable joy rushed in to my veins confirming that he is the source of wisdom and that also supported by John 1, that in the beginning he is the Word, and that word is the foundation of everything, while wisdom fuels all creation. Thus, the Word and Wisdom are indeed inseparable. So the moment I accepted Christ,  I received his Word and start walking in Wisdom. 

As I continue reading, the Shunammite woman was able to bore a son on the exact time which Elisha told her so. But some years later, her son died. What a devastating scene! Recently, I felt having experienced both joy and hope, but all the sudden everything changed. The pain was extremely crazy. Trying to recall where did I fail or what have I done wrong to be suddenly rejected by someone?

The mother carried her son to the room out on his bed and immediately left. Then she called her husband and told that she will go to Elisha with a servant and her donkey, so her husband asked why she have to leave because it is neither Sabbath nor New moon, and yet she answered, “never mind” (TEV).

Never mind? Does it feels like a strange response to something “life and death situation”. What faith and courage it is! It is even translated as, "all is well," (ESV) while “it shall be well” in (NKJV).  

As it goes, Elisha saw her coming from a far, and when she approached Gehazi (Elisha’s servant) she told him that everything was alright. But when she came to Elisha she bowed down before him and took hold of his feet. Gehazi was about to stop her, but Elisha reprimanded him and said, "Leave her alone, can't you see, she's in deep distress and the Lord has not told me a thing about it." Then the woman inquired, “Sir, did I ask my Lord for a son? Did I say, do not lie to me?”. 

Who can relate on this statement? as if like; "Are you sure, Lord?", or "Aren't you give it to me, but why you took it so suddenly." However, through her courage and relentless spirit. She knew that her son is given to her, therefore his life should not only end that way. Her son might be dead, but her hope is not, with a belief that the One who gives is faithful. 

On the first attempt of Gehazi to perform a miracle using Elisha’s stick doesn’t work. So Gehazi need to return to Elisha and reported that the boy was still unresponsive. Imagine the feeling of the mother in her waiting when Gehazi left for Elisha, little by little as the time ticks quickly in front of her lifeless son. Throbbing pain of unbearable sorrow, or perhaps her heart feel like to explode, out of mixed worry and fear of losing her only son. Yet she trusts Elisha, and the Lord that she never gave up the faith as she held the hands of her son until Elisha came. After Elisha’s prayer the boy’s body starting to get warm, and he sneezed seven times. Then Elisha announced the most relieving phrase she ever heard that day, “Pick up your son.”  She fell at his feet, overflowing with gratitude, with her face touching the ground, then took her son and left. 

Now, what do you want to pick up, to get or to claim? Name it, hold fast on it, and remain obedient, until the hope and promise arrive. Like the widow, as we obey, there will be no run out. Like the Shunammite woman, know the promise and hold it tightly by heart. See how perfect when the Lord say yes to those things that are about to come true. 

I know deep within my spirit, that it is the Lord who gave me the "word". Isn't he speaking now,  affirming about that certain promise, by showing me these stories? 


Whenever in doubt, and find yourself tossing and turning. Pause. Pray. And rely on His Word. Always remember, he’s the only One who doesn’t change mind, because truly Yhwh - our God cannot lie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expecting for Rachel

Based on the story: When Jacob Marries Leah & Rachel Genesis 29:14b-30 As a part of God's promise to his grandfather Abraham, Jacob was guided from the very start. He was clearly told by his father Isaac all the instructions that will help him on his journey.  Being one of Laban's closest relative and because of his diligence, he was given an opportunity to ask for anything, a reward for his goodness.  Most of the time, God allows us to ask for something we desire to have; but at the precious time like this, He initiates us to ask for anything. God knows everyone's heart especially when we are serving him with love. His graciousness is at its best if he allows us to ask or petition for something we deeply desire even though he has greater in mind.           In  the story, it is visible that Jacob was fell in love with Rachel. As part of agreement he have to work for seven years for Laban the father. Jacob did not mind the span of time, he

CHOSEN

Sea of Galilee God chooses and we have choices, He is Sovereign, and we have freewill. In the Old Testament, Israel chose to reject God, so He chose to send His Son to redeem us from sin.  When Jesus came, He did so as a suffering servant, not a conquering King. As a result, God's chosen people look different than what's expected. Our greatest desire is to be chosen by someone who is far more wonderful than we could imagine, infatuation flirts with the object of its affection, but true love longs to be with the one it has chosen.  Jesus made a decision to die for the undeserving so He could satisfy our heart's desire to be chosen by God, so it was Jesus desire to glorify God & satisfy our debt by making the decision to die for us . I'm just thinking what does a chosen person's life looks like? The chosen person doesn't have to fake his influence, like Jesus, He doesn't have to fit in with the religious crowd, he just withdraw, He leaves. Jesus is extendi